The Sidwell Street Methodist Church, completed in 1905, Grade II* Listed, was constructed by the French engineer Paul Cottancin, employing innovative use of reinforced concrete and brickwork. The church was closed in 2001 due to extensive corrosion of reinforcement and failing concrete.
Following physical investigations and trials, an element by element repair typology was devised, including hand modelling the complex shapes of the decorative mouldings. A traditional lime sheltercoat was applied over all the decorative ‘stonework’ to fill the fine cracks, provide an additional layer of protection and unify the whole. The project was grant aided by English Heritage, the HLF and Charitable Trusts.